One Day Bus Trips to The Hudson Valley, NY
by The Coach Team
Sometimes we wish we can take the whole month off and get away. A week would be great too. But it is not always logistically or financially possible.
There’s an alternative option that is almost always doable and affordable. Don’t underestimate how great it can be to just get away for a day! You don’t have to get a pet sitter, pack a big suitcase, pay all your upcoming bills in advance, or freeze your leftovers.
It’s a day trip – to change the pace, break the routine, and change your tune. You will come home and sleep in your own bed – and sleep well with great memories of the trip and destination.
It would be great to organize a group of friends, relatives, or members of an organization you belong to – and embark on an excursion together.
Bus Day Trip North East Destinations
You can rest on the way there, and sleep on the return back. With that in mind, a travel distance of less than 3 to 4 hours away is most desired. Let’s get you inspired to get on the comfortable modern tour bus with your group – and embark on one of these recommended bus day trips in the spectacular Hudson Valley of New York State! You can find out why Ulster County is quickly becoming the place where everyone wants to be.
- Phoenicia, NY – A two block hamlet set in the center of a mountain range. Phoenicia has been a stop for decades on the upstate NY drive. It really comes alive in the middle of the summer when the Phoenicia International Festival of the Voice kicks into gear for a full week all throughout the town – with main performances in the amazing one of a kind spectacular natural amphitheater! From jazz, pop and B’way to gospel, barbershop AND world class opera performances with full orchestra – this is an extraordinary experience for EVERYONE who likes music. In the Fall, the foliage from mountain to mountain is just incredible. A sunny day will cool off at night, and you will really experience the season and everything about nature that can be missed in more urban areas. The winter season is another part Phoenicia’s charm. Located close by to Belleayre Ski Center and Hunter Mountain, even if you don’t ski or snowboard, the hamlet gives a great winter display of the beautiful snow covered mountains. The Phoenicia Diner is exceptional, and makes a great stop for lunch. It’s the place that people come to dine at from miles around. You will fall in love with Phoenicia and NEVER want to leave!
- Rhinebeck & Hyde Park, NY – This is an awesome excursion, filled with historical significance. Just a couple of hours directly north of NYC, this day trip is a beautiful ride all the way. The Vanderbilt Mansion & Garden are spectacular, and give everyone insight into what it was like to be live an affluent lifestyle decades ago. The mansion and grounds are incredible, and there’s even a unique railway car that the Vanderbilt family used for travel to and from the city. Right nearby is Franklin & Eleanor Roosevelt’s former home and library. Not quite as extravagant as the Vanderbilt’s, but with layers upon layers of Presidential history. And what about lunch? Down along Route 9 just a bit is the Culinary Institute of America! Lunch or Dinner await you. There is a choice of a great variety of restaurants on the campus, and in addition is the amazing Apple Pie Bakery Café. This all makes for a wonderful day out in the fresh air in any season, capped off with a relaxing ride home along the Hudson River in a luxurious, modern charter tour bus.
- West Point Military Academy – On the other side of that same Hudson River is the West Point campus, and a tour can be arranged for you and your group to experience the sprawling academy. Eisenhower and Grant attended West Point, as did astronaut Buzz Aldrin. There is so much to take in, and the grounds go all the way down to the flowing river where water traffic in moving north and south all day and into the night. The Highland Falls area that surrounds West Point is also full of history, and the views from some of the cliff side roads is breathtaking.
- Saugerties, NY – This is quaint-est of river towns, complete with the historic lighthouse that you can walk out to and spend the afternoon at – watching the boats and the majestic Hudson. The Horse Show right outside of town is also a main attraction in the summer for so many. In Fall and Winter there are many cozy cafes and restaurants to relax in, and many antique shops to check out during the day. From the old newly renovated vaudeville era Orpheum movie theater, to the fabulous dining experience and wonderful hospitality at Miss Lucy’s Kitchen – this is a wonderful day trip destination indeed!
- Beacon, NY – Dia:Beacon. We’ll say it again – Dia:Beacon! An are museum where space is not an issue. It is huge with art and unique installations that are shown in a venue appropriate to the scope of the artist’s work. Housed in a former factory, this one of a kind structure is filled with modern works of art all shown in natural light. Along with your visit there is the scrumptious café and outdoor views of the Hudson Valley. The City of Beacon just up the hill is a storybook town. There is a renaissance there and restaurants, coffee shops, antique, clothes and curiosity shops, and fine deserts are throughout the main stretch.
- Cold Spring, NY – Another beautiful quaint town along the Hudson, complete with shops, pubs, restaurants, cafes and a down by the river gazebo. You can stroll all the way from the river on up through the navigable blocks and there is certainly something there for everyone.
- Lake Placid, NY – A little more of a distance for your excursion, but well worth it. There’s a wonderful Olympic Museum surrounded by the Adirondack Mountains, and the original ski jump complex. The village is so walk-able and has its unique atmosphere, the water is crystal clear, and the people are interesting and friendly!
- Woodstock, NY – OK, the whole ‘peace & love’ thing started 50 years ago, but that sentiment is still prevalent in Woodstock, NY today! It is a bit more upscale now – but the town is filled with cafes, restaurants, curiosity shops, and fashion & trinket shopping. The Village Green is the center of the action, to sit and sun and people watch, and take in the live – planned and spontaneous – music offerings. Even though Levon has now passed on, the Levon Helm Midnight Rambles are still ongoing and international music fans attend regularly. There is a unique diversity in the music, and the shows start in the early evening – with enough time left to get back on your charter bus and arrive home before it gets way too late. And perhaps the best thing about Woodstock, NY – for your day, your trip home AND your chocolate future – Fruition Chocolate is the locally made bean to bar award winning chocolate that is being acknowledged around the world as one of the best! It is made nearby Woodstock in Shokan, NY, and right in the town of Woodstock is a Fruition Chocolate retail shop. Stop in for the initial taste of what you will certainly crave forever!
We can certainly go on, but this list is more than enough to get you started. Many of the towns mentioned are relatively close by to each other, and it is doable to hit two or three in the same long day.
Hey – you can just sleep on the luxurious charter tour bus on the way home while an experienced professional driver brings you and your group back safely. Discover the new (old) travel way to get there – our customer service reps are more than happy to help plan whatever day trip journey you desire.
So call us – and create a unique New York excursion second to none!